Wednesday, January 23, 2013

DIY Denim for Spring

I've been searching for blog inspiration all day and it finally came to me.


Urban Outfitters posted this picture on Instagram and suddenly, something in my head clicked. DIY INSPIRATION POST. I don't know about you all, but when the weather gets warm enough, I live in cut off denim shorts. I cant bring myself to pay 50 bucks for a pair from Urban Outfitters so I just make them myself. It's so incredibly easy, all you need is 4 dollars to buy a pair of mom jeans from Goodwill. I personally prefer only using Levi's because they are good quality and the pockets are always positioned in a good enough place so that my ass doesn't look like a potato. If you want to customize your shorts, you can buy studs and dye at the craft store and you can buy bleach pretty much anywhere. What caught my eye about this picture is the bleach polka dot shorts. Patterned denim and polka dots are both a big trend right now so I thought they were great. I love the fact that the spots are imperfect. you could probably make those dots with a big round paint brush or bleach soaked cotton balls.

Another picture I saw which inspired me to start DIYing shorts was this picture from Polyvore:

 
 
I absolutely LOVE the contrast of the bright yellow on the black fabric. If you're talented enough to hand paint these, then that would be the way to go but you can also print out any picture and cut out the parts where you want the paint like a stencil. I think using paint to customize denim shorts is a great idea.
 
 
I've never seen this done before but I think that using a stencil and spray paint to put an image like this on your shorts would be really cool.
 
 
One last idea that I really like is putting cool old (or new) iron on patches on these shorts. I bought a bunch of old school rock band logo patches at the craft store a few months ago with the intention of putting them on shorts and denim jackets and I loved the way they turned out. Here's a few that other people made:
 

 
I hope this post inspired you to do something different than generic ripped, dyed, and studded shorts. Try something new!
 
xx Lucy
 
Photos Courtesy of: Etsy, Urban Outfitters, Google Images



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts